In last year’s blog post, I said cancer has a way of changing things. This past year has proven to me that even the fear of cancer can change things almost as much.
Two years ago, in late October 2012, my mother-in-law AND her sister both saw suspicious spots on their mammograms on the very same day. In an instant, my family went from one of normal risk for breast cancer to one of much higher risk. For me, my wife, and our two young daughters, the impact was dramatic, and life altering. I support the Arkansas Race for the Cure because 25 percent of all Race proceeds goes to fund national breast cancer research. The other 75 percent goes to help educate and provide mammograms and screening right here in Arkansas. From that research, a tremendous amount has been learned about the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes, which is now a part of my family, and a huge concern for the future. This past year, my wife earned the label of previvor. Just like Angelina Jolie did in February 2013 when she tested positive for the BRCA1 gene, my wife chose to have preventative surgery to reduce her risk of getting best cancer from 87 percent to less than 5 percent. It was an incredibly difficult decision, but her courage and determination to stand up to breast cancer has been extremely inspiring and brave. I hope that we can find a cure for breast cancer before my two young daughters ever have to look in the mirror and decide to stand up to breast cancer and fight for their lives.
I got involved with the 3 Miles of Men committee five years ago because the Arkansas Race for the Cure is an amazing event with an enormous impact on the state. Six races later, it has never disappointed!
On Race morning I will be at the 3 Miles of Men headquarters near the Capitol Smokehouse and Grill. On this amazing morning, 35,000 participants will cheer and support each and every survivor, celebrate and energize their battles against breast cancer, and encourage their family and friends who support and honor them each and every day. As members of 3 Miles of Men, guys will be cheering along the race route as well as running and walking with the tens of thousands of women who come downtown year after year. As an added bonus, all 3 Miles of Men participants can bring along a registered race guest with them to our special Tailgate Party at Diamond Bear Brewery on Thursday, Sept. 25 from 5-7pm. Join us for free beverages and Larry’s pizza, as well as music, lots of great prizes to giveaway, and lots of fun – all part of your 3 Miles of Men registration!
Please join me and the rest of Arkansas for this very special event, and help us find a cure! Register today at KomenArkansas.org and show your support. I’m going to move. be moved. Will you?
Chair of the 3 Miles of Men